The Importance of Standard Units
1. In the past, measurements were based on our body parts. These include the palm, foot and cubit. This gave rise to many problems as the size of a foot or hand is different for different people.
2. Then, more accurate measurements were introduced. However, different countries used different systems of measurements. For example, in Malaysia, we used units such as inch, foot, yard, kati and tahil.
3. With the increase in global trade and travelling, it was necessary to adopt a standard system of measurement.
4. Thus, in 1960, the SI unit were taken as the standard units of measurement of the world.
5. The use of standard units has also enabled scientists from all over the world to communicate and exchange information more easily.